Does unwanted body hair ruin your main-character moments in life? Well, we have all been in this situation at some point in our lives. From sudden plans with friends to short-notice invitations to the events you have been dying to go to. Life is full of surprises! But it does not mean that you have to skip these plans of wearing the prettiest of outfits, just because you have unwanted body hair all over.
If you are someone who doesn’t know how to deal with your body hair or someone who already knows the different ways to deal with this pesky body hair, keep reading further. This will help you to understand the different methods of hair removal so that you can decide which you want to opt for.
What are the different methods of hair removal?
There are several types of hair removal methods that you can choose from. Some of them give you a long-term effect while others give you a more short-term effect. These methods are explained below.
- Laser Hair Removal- In this method, a dermatologist uses lasers for hair removal. The laser is beamed into the hair follicle where the pigment in the hair absorbs the light from the laser and this process helps to destroy the hair. It is considered to be a permanent method of hair removal as the effects usually last from 6-12 months. Continuous use of this method slowly damages the hair follicle and it reduces the capacity of the hair follicle to grow new hair. However, laser therapy only works on people with dark hair.
- Waxing- In this method, hot wax is applied against the direction of the hair growth and then a waxing strip is used to stick on the area where the wax is applied. It is then pulled out in a fast motion that removes the hair from the roots. The results last for 2-5 weeks.
- Sugaring- Sugaring is similar to waxing. Only three ingredients sugar, lemon juice, and water are used to make the sugar paste. A chunk of the sugar paste is applied to the skin and pulled out in small strokes. This removes the hair and the results last 2-5 weeks like that of waxing.
- Epilating- In this method, electronic epilating devices are used on the skin that pulls out the hair from the roots. The results last from 2-3 weeks. Anyone can use these epilators just by following the instructions written on the packaging of the devices. One does not require professional knowledge to use an epilator on themselves.
- Shaving- Shaving is the most common form of hair removal method. It involves a standard or electronic razor that is glided upon the skin that cuts the hair on the surface of the skin. This method can be used anywhere in the body and the process takes very little time. As the hair is removed only topically and not from the roots of the hair, the results do not last for more than 1-5 days.
- Hair Removal Cremes- Hair removal creams or depilatory creams are another fast & easy method of removing unwanted hair from different parts of the body. In this method, you apply the hair removal crème on the skin with a spatula that is provided on the pack, wait for 3-6 minutes and then wipe off the crème with the help of a damp towel or the provided spatula itself. As an aftercare, you must wash the skin with lukewarm water and moisturize it with a body lotion.
The chemicals like sodium thioglycolate, calcium thioglycolate, and strontium sulfide present in the crème break the protein structure of the hair known as the keratins. It dissolves the keratine and turns the hair into a jelly-like substance that gets removed when wiped with a damp towel or a spatula. The results last from 4-9 days. However, a patch test is always suggested before using the crème.
Which hair removal method works the best?
By now you must be very confused about which is the best hair removal method you should opt for and we understand that there is a chance that you are overwhelmed by the number of options available. Well, this blog will help you decide which is the best for you.
When it comes to laser hair removal, it sounds just perfect when you listen to the number of days you can stay away from unwanted body hair. However, it requires a trained dermatologist to perform the whole procedure on you and thus it can be pretty expensive too. It can also cause swelling around the follicles, skin inflammation, blistering, and scarring.
Then, there is waxing and sugaring that uses a lot of heat on the skin for the procedure to be effective. It can be very painful and may cause folliculitis, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and ingrown hair.
The epilation method uses electronic depilatory devices that have tiny tweezers attached to them that pull out the hair from the roots but causes a lot of pain and has similar side effects as that of waxing and sugaring.
Shaving on the other hand uses razors with sharp blades to cut the hair on the surface of the skin. It does not remove the hair from the roots and so the hair grows back within a day or two. The structure of the hair gets hard when it grows back after shaving and the skin feels very rough to the touch. One needs to be extremely careful while shaving as one may easily cut themselves or get a razor burn. There are also other side effects such as skin irritation and ingrown hairs after shaving.
"We found that hair removal crèmes are the best among the lot."
Though the effects of hair removal cremes stay for a much shorter period than most of its other competitors, unlike them the modern hair removal crèmes do not possess chemicals that may harm the skin in any way or have any harmful side effects after use.
There are various hair removal crème for women in the market. You can find products that cater to various skin concerns. Some examples of those products are, diamond hair removal crème for dry skin, papaya hair removal crème for private parts or for the bikini area, gold hair removal crème for glowing & soft skin, and skin whitening hair removal cremes. You can select any one of Astaberry’s products that will suit your skin type and concern the best.More Reading